Helping your osteoarthritic (OA) dog reach her ideal weight is a crucial step in her therapy. Having your veterinarian assess your dog’s weight and making the appropriate changes to her diet and exercise regimen can vastly improve her well-being.
If your dog is overweight or obese you could notice some dramatic changes as she starts to lose weight. Here are some ways to help her to her ideal weight:
- Ask your veterinarian to assess your dog’s weight.
- Work with your veterinarian to decide on the type of food and how much to feed.
- Work with your veterinarian to monitor your dog’s weight and make food adjustments as needed.
- Exercise your dog regularly.
- Try healthy treats like green beans or ice cubes instead of high calorie dog treats or people food.